As the New Year approaches and the cold weather settles in, it comes time to take down and store away your holiday decorations. While this task can seem daunting, these easy tips will help you get it done efficiently and in a way that will leave you organized and ready for next year.
1) Figure out a place where you can store all of your decorations together. Many times, decorations are scattered throughout the house because we use whatever slices of space we can find to shove our holiday goodies. Whether in the basement, garage, or spare closet, carve out space for all of your holiday decorations. Make sure to take into consideration exactly what is being stored- remember that fake tree takes up a lot of room!
2) Gather your means of storage. We highly recommend plastic bins because they hold up better against moisture and creature damage and are clear, making it easy to see what you have at a glance. If you're planning on storing your decorations in the basement, this is especially important to consider.
3)To protect your fragile tree decorations, use an egg carton or a piece of corrugated cardboard. Wrap each decoration in tissue paper and nestle into the cups. When stacking in bins, place a piece of stiff cardboard between the layers.
4) If you put up your decorations in the same general place every year, organize them by room. Pack all of your dishes, linens and special kitchen baubles in one box and mark “Kitchen” on three sides. Follow suit for each room. Next year, you’ll know in exactly which room the boxes belong and will make decorating a breeze. This is also a great time to sort through your decorations and donate or toss any that are worn out or broken.
5) If you like to mix up the location of your decorations, organize by type (greenery, tree decorations etc.) so you can tell what’s in each at a glance.
6) Once you’ve packed away all of your decorations, label on three sides of the box what the contents are and store away in your designated spot. Keep in mind when storing in the garage or basement to use shelves that are up off the ground in case of water leakage.
Remember, Closet Factory can create the perfect solution for storing all of your holiday goodies, so call today for a free consultation! (800) 366-2567.
Happy New Year!